Thailand International Cooperation Agency (TICA) was established on 19 July 1950, originally as a committee to “administer projects relating to President Truman’s initiatives,” and to facilitate technical and economic assistance received from foreign countries. On 4 May 1963, the Cabinet upgraded the committee to Department of Technical and Economic Cooperation (DTEC.) From 1972 to 2004, the Department of Technical and Economic Cooperation was part of the Office of the Prime Minister.
As Thailand gradually shifted its role from receiver to donor of technical and economic assistance and development cooperation, DTEC was transformed into Thailand International Cooperation Agency (TICA) and integrated into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 17 October 2004. At present, TICA’s main task is to coordinate Thailand’s development cooperation as well as various economic, social, technical assistance and training courses with countries and international organizations around the world .